Thursday 22 November 2018

Red Panda Particle

It's been a while. I have been doing repair jobs and not posting them, so I will try to clear the backlog.

I bought a non-working Red Panda Particle granular delay for a decent price. This is fairly well documented as a Spin FV-1 design, but the granular delay programs and pitch-shifting & randomised modes really drew my interest.




The insides are fairly simple - the FV-1, a 24LC32a serial EEPROM, a 74HC148 priority encoder (to decode the rotary switch and select which program to run) and a quad OPA4134 opamp. The "chop", "delay/pitch" and "param" pots are read by the FV-1, the blend and feedback controls appear to be done in the analog domain. This looks more or less like a reference FV-1 design, all the magic is in the program code.

The PCB layout is nice, pots and jacks are board-mounted and the DC jack is on a connector so the entire board can be removed or tested before installing in an enclosure. They use a PCB mounted spring to ground the enclosure, like the modern EHX designs, but this one seems to be contacting an oversprayed section.

Interior layout.

This pedal passed no signal in effected mode. I probed the OPA4134 and the first opamp that drives the mix control was stuck at near ~8V DC. After replacing the chip everything worked.

IC10 removed.


This is a really cool design, in that it's very different to nearly every delay I've used before. It is quite difficult to predict how the different modes will sound, and I think this would need some significant playtime to learn. Unfortunately this one came along at a time when I didn't have a lot of free time or desire to keep amassing pedals, so I have sold it on.

I did dump the EEPROM. Looking at it briefly with the excellent online FV-1 decompiler, each program looks to have disassembled correctly and makes some sense. I'm reluctant to share this, as this is really the only unique part of the pedal, and AFAIK it hasn't been cloned. If you have a genuine repair need (pedal with dead ROM) then get in touch, maybe I'll help. I may also revisit this and get it running on a different FV-1 board at some point in the future.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I discovered this blog and read through the old posts this summer. Looking forward to more \m/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this blog.
    AliExpress Electronics Coupons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just out of curiosity, how did you managed to dump the EEPROM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desoldered it, put it in a USB programmer and then re-soldered it. There is a programming header nearby, but for these SOIC memories removing them is pretty quick.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! Do you know what format the programming header is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's connected directly to the EEPROM. You'll have to look at the EEPROM datasheet and see which pins go to the header.

      Delete
  5. Hello Mr Electronics.
    First of all than you so much for the info about the pedal, and some all important gut shots 😆
    And I’m wondering if now (given that the particle is not only long discontinued, but has received a fully refreshed design, DSP, and coding) you would be willing to release the code you recovered from the EEPROM?
    Thanks 😊
    Tom.

    ReplyDelete