Friday 8 February 2019

2 70s Electro-Harmonic Small Stone phasers

2 vintage Electro-Harmonix Small stone phasers. The artwork for both of these is almost identical to the 90s reissue (which uses LM13700 OTAs) but the lack of any LED indicators gives away that these are older - probably late 70s or 80s.



Small Stone #1

I think this is the pedal I have owned the longest with repairing. I started buying broken stuff  to repair from eBay in 2011, and picked up a couple of vintage Big Muffs. One was a lot that came with this pedal, a Small Stone, pretty much as pictured - no knob, no pot, no switch and a lot of broken wiring.



The Small Stone has 4 phase shifting stages, using 1 OTA as an LFO and 4 more as variable RC filters that give varying phase shifts. Early versions of the Small Stone used CA3094 OTAs branded as "EH1048", a house-marking for Electro-Harmonix. This version is an "Issue J" and has the 5 EH1048 chips, dated to 1977.

Issue J

EH1048 - 1977, week 32.




I bought a new 24mm reverse log pot, installed a 3PDT switch and re-wired the pedal (true bypass, why not). It didn't pass an effected signal. I think I put it aside at this point, I suspected that the OTAs might be bad and didn't have any replacements.


I came back to this recently. The oscilloscope showed that there was no LFO signal anywhere on the board, even though most of the voltages on oscillator OTA looked reasonable. I bought an RCA metal can CA3094 and replaced it - now I had an LFO, but still no wet signal. Looking at the input and output pins of each OTA, I could see that the first stage was phase shifting, but the second had no output. I shorted together the input and outputs of the second stage, and now I had a phase-shifted signal. It wasn't quite as deep as it should be, with only 3 or 4 stages active, but it verified that the other two ICs were good. I ordered one more CA3094 to replace the dead EH1048, and complete things.

Before re-housing
I sourced a new hockey put knob that fit the new 24mm pot. Originals are hard to come by, but it fits the right aesthetic.


This was inspected by... Elsa? Cheers, Elsa.

There is usually some foam behind the PCB on the back panel of the housing. The PCBs just hang off the back of the rate pot, the foam is to prevent it from shorting out on the back panel. This foam had perished, so I taped some card down to insulate the PCB instead.

Small Stone #2

This second unit is a similar vintage, I picked it up hoping it might help repair the first one.


This is a slightly different PCB (with a phenolic substrate instead of fibreglass?), but looks to be the same circuit more-or-less. It also has 5 EH1048s, dated to 1979.

This one actually worked despite being sold as faulty (this is not that unusual). It just had a couple of quirks. It was a big help in verifying the switch wiring on the other unit, and for taking reference voltage readings off the OTA chips.

Phenolic PCB, instead of fibreglass?
The first was that the rate pot had some odd damage, the casing was partially open. I guess this could have been caused by dropping the pedal onto the knob, or by pulling on the PCB while it was still attached to the enclosure. Or during factory assembly, this was EHX after all. This was easy to close and re-crimp with pliers.

Opened pot housing...

...closed again

The second was that it would start to oscillate with the "color" switch in the up position and no input. It works fine with a guitar connected, or a buffered pedal in front of it, but with no cable or dangling unconnected cable it will start to ring at the top of the phaser sweep. As far as I can tell this is just something that this revision does, to fix it I would have to switch to a shorting input jack or modify the pedal to reduce the positive feedback when the color switch is in the up position, neither of which I really want to do.


These turned out really well. Feels good to have them done. They sound almost identical, the only change that jumps out is that the two different brands of pots don't quite match up - the plastic shaft CTS pot physically rotates further than the new Alpha pot, so the rates are slightly different when the pointers are matched by eye.
I don't have a modern Small Stone, or a Sovtek, to compare with. They definitely sound smoother than JFET phasers I'm used to.

One or both of these will probably hit Reverb in the next couple of days, get in touch if interested.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your first Small Stone missing the battery snap connector? I just purchased a Small Stone with pots dating to '79 and it appears to be missing the battery snap. Looks like replacing them is easy but it wasn't in the sale description!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have an Issue J board (earlier chassis though), and I may need to replace one or more of the EH1048 OTA's. Any idea which I should start with? Also, I see multiple versions of the CA3094 for sale online. There is the RCA metal can CA3094S that you used on eBay for $6.50 a piece or I can buy a lot of 5 CA3094E from China for around $10. Is there a difference between all these different suffixes for the purposes of this repair? Any advice you could provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had financial problems, then it is time for you to smile. You only need to contact Mr. Benjamin  with the amount you wish to borrow at the low rate of 2% ROI and the payment period that suits you and you will have your loan  within three working days. I just benefited for the sixth time a loan of 700 thousand dollars for a period of 180 months with the possibility of paying before the expiration date. Mr Benjamin has been helping me with the loan.Make contact with him and you will see that he is a very honest man with a good heart.His email is  247officedept@gmail.com   and his WhatApp phone number is + 1-989-394-3740 .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys, I had a small stone delivered yesterday but no wiring and I can't handle it myself. I don't know where to solder input, output, and the switches, there are just no cables. Can you help me with pictures or tell me exactly what wires to solder. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete