Friday 15 March 2019

Yamaha QY20

After fixing the MS-20 I was having a lot of fun with it, but really wanted some kind of sequencer. I would have preferred not to have to rely on a laptop and was looking for something small and cheap.

I found this Yamaha QY20 on sale from a Japanese eBay seller, listing as non-functional. It was a portable sequencing device from the early 90s, with some workstation-style sounds and MIDI I/O. The service manual was available online, it was very cheap and it looked like a decent form-factor so I took a chance.

Yamaha QY20, with carry case

I applied 12V from a bench power supply to the DC jack - it pulled around 135 mA but didn't show any sign of life. However, when I connected the headphone jack to a speaker and pushed some keys I could hear a piano. I could also connect up the MS-20 by MIDI and trigger notes using the QY20 keys. It looked like the there was just an issue with the display.

Usually LCD displays have a bias voltage supply that is much more positive or negative than the supply for the logic chips. I expected a bad switching power supply. The service manual is very comprehensive and has a complete schematic, it shows a MAX680 inverting charge pump generating a negative supply of -9.3 to -9.6V from the 5V rail. Either the charge pump has failed, or the contrast pot has gone open circuit.


LCD bias supply schematic, from service manual.

It's fairly easy to take apart the QY20, but there is a copper sheet for shielding that needs to be desoldered.

Shielding has to be desoldered at the MIDI and line output connectors.
Digital and audio PCB
The insides are fairly typical surface mount construction for early 90s, particularly for a portable unit.

Funnily enough, the microcontroler is a H8/520, the same family used in the MS-20 20+ years later. The main soundchip is a YMW-258-F "AWM & FM Tone Generator", which is likely to be some variant on the chips Yamaha were doing for synths and video games at the time.

I measured the Vee bias voltage for the LCD at only -5 V. It should be closer to -10V, as the MAX680 charge pump is an inverting and voltage doubling converter. I would guess that one switching stage inside the MAX680 is bad and it is only inverting.

I removed the MAX680 (looks like I forgot to take a picture of this, it's a SOIC 8 chip on the backside of the board) and the 4 22 uF switching capacitors (C26,C27,C28,C29).

C26-C29 removed
After installing new parts, Vee was now -9.2V - a little bit low, but certainly a change. When I re-attached the LCD board, the display worked again.

Reflective LCDs are surprisingly difficult to photograph,
I can change the cheesy electric piano to 100+ other throwback workstation sounds! Time to learn how to use this as a MIDI sequencer.

15 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Some people love these units and still make music on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just dug out my parents old one of these and i want to use it for drums but im having the same problem the record button lights up when you press it so not a power issue ( i think) and the screen flickers when turned on and off do i need a replacment screen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the same problem then I can only suggest the same fix I did, repair the power supply for the LCD. I didn't replace the screen.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you make it to seem easy.. I will have to check, but as I'm not an expert on electronics.. a question, when you say that you added new parts, means a new MAX680 and new capacitors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problems and I replaced either the MAX680 and the 4 capacitors. But the MAX680 is connected to others parts of the circuit only with 3 wires. So it is easier to solder the new MAX680 and the 4 new capacitors on a little breadboard and to solder the 3 wires to the 3 points in the circuit.

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    can you explain more what you've done there? Where have you found the parts, the connections, etc.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Can you fix mine please? Cheers Pete

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi and thanks for the write-up. I'm not imagining that you'll want to disassemble the thing in response to a random comment, but you wouldn't happen to have registered the part number for the LCD would you? I recently got one of these from a friend sans the screen. If it's something fairly standard (like those various Hitachi driven boards that have hung around since the early 80s) I'd like to replace and restore, but if it's something more proprietary (with one $70 recycled part listed by a Japanese eBay seller) I'm probably better putting the cash toward a cheap Behringer or Korg box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yamaha P/N for the assembly is YAMAHA VP279900 (from the service manual). LCD controller is a Toshiba T6963C, there seem to be lots of displays compatible with that chip. LCD itself seems to be dmf50202n.

      Delete
  11. I have a QY70 with faded out screen. How to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one, that works for about 4 minutes, then freezes, and no matter how many times you restart it, still doesn work. It takes about 8 hours of "rest" for it to work again. I guess some capacitors are bad. I changed the ones in the Power section, but no luck.
    Any tips?

    ReplyDelete