Wednesday 17 August 2016

2 More DL4s

Big Green Delays, again.

I had a couple of these Line 6 DL4s handed over for repairs and each had a different problem from what I have seen before, so I'm holding out that this will be interesting to someone.

Silver-Taped Green Delay


By now I have something of a checklist of problems for these pedals. This one had all power supplies present, and none had any strange ripple or noise superimposed. Next step is to look at the test pads - there was no clock signal anywhere. Since the MCU generates the clock, and the MCU is responsible for resetting and waking the DSP (which produces the sampling clocks) nothing will work without this master clock.


U7. Oscillator and caps swapped at this point.

I know the problem is likely to be in the area of the MCU (U7). I replaced the oscillator crystal and capacitors with parts from the scrap board to see if I got a clock signal, as that's an easy place to start. No luck. I took off the MCU with hot air and replaced it with the one from the scrapper and everything worked again. Fantastic.

After removal and wicking of U7.

Alignment of the replacement is not great, but solder joints look good and function perfectly.

These MCU are a cheap 8051 core in a "ROMless" configuration, meaning that they have no ability to be programmed and only load code from external memory. This is a Good Thing for repairs, as it means that a scrap unit isn't really necessary, any new IC of this model should work, and all the code is in the one socketed EEPROM. In practice, I have found that "ROMless" is sometimes a misnomer. MCUs often have fuses or configuration bits that need to be programmed, or even have a small area of programmable memory for a bootloader, so a straight swap isn't always possible. More on this to come.

Normally I use a Kester flux pen for surface mount work, but this was the first time I used a syringe of tacky flux paste. It is really amazing stuff and I am completely won over. It made this job much faster and cleaner (I used it again for the Whammy repair, but unfortunately I'm getting to write about these out-of-order).


The owner had cover this pedal in silver gaffer tape. I think it looks cool.

A New Power Issue

This unit didn't get as far along before something look wrong. It had a working 3.3V supply, but all other power supplies voltages were low.

Another Rev 6 board.

The 6.6V voltage doubler (MAX660, U20) follows the 3.3V supply, so I started there and removed the output cap (C48) and IC. Measuring resistance across the output cap pads (6.6V to ground) gave 29 ohms, so there is still a problem.

U20 & C48 pulled.


The 5V regulator is next (U21, LM3480) so that was pulled, and the 29 ohm to ground was gone. I pulled U21 from the scrap board and replaced it, then repopulated U20 and C48. All power supplies returned and relays clicked, worked again.

Poor focus, but U21 has been replaced.

LEDs and relays are working after C48 and U20 are back.

At this point the scrap board I have is looking pretty bare. Between the 3 pedals I have written about and another personal unit that hasn't been fixed yet I've removed pretty much every IC. This is fine though, as I found out that very little (if anything) on these pedals is pre-programmed. In nearly every case new parts will work perfectly, having a donor just means avoiding waiting a day for replacements to be delivered. This shouldn't really be surprising as these are consumer goods made in large quantities, it makes sense to keep any custom, selected or programmed parts to a minimum to keep costs down.

1 comment: